Canopy authorizations and permits are required to place a canopy over the sidewalk. Canopy placement must be adequate for public safety and must be suitable to the circumstances of the proposed canopy location and not interfere with the public use of the sidewalk.
Listed in the following paragraphs are some of the requirements for canopy authorizations and permits. The full list of rules and regulations is contained in the Highway Rules, Sections 2-02 and 2-04, and should be consulted before any work is performed on the street.
- Canopy placement must be approved by the owner of the property to which the canopy will be attached.
- Canopy design and construction must be in accordance with NYC DOT Standard Details of Construction. View the most recent version of Drawing #H1029 of the NYC DOT Standard Details of Construction.
- Canopy permits are not transferable from person to person or from the location of original issue.
- No attachments of any kind are permitted on a canopy, including, but not limited to temporary or permanent signs, balloons, streamers, flags, banners or pennants.
- Canopies must be well-maintained at all times.
- Canopies must be fully roofed.
A list of partially and fully restricted streets where canopy placement is limited or prohibited can be found in the Highway Rules, Section 2-04(f).
NYC DOT authorization is required before installing a canopy over the sidewalk.