Building Operations/Construction Activity Permits apply to construction activities that take place within the street and are generally associated with construction work adjacent to the street. A valid permit issued by DOB is usually required in order to apply for permits in this category. Some of the activities covered include placement of materials, equipment and temporary structures on the street or movement of construction equipment across roadways and sidewalks. It also covers installations above the street such as banners and decorative lights and permanent installations on the street such as bike racks.
Outlined below are the basic application procedures for Building Operations/Construction Activity Permits. These are in addition to the "Common Requirements" listed at the beginning of this section. Additional requirements are contained in Sections 2-02 and 2-05 of the Highway Rules and should be consulted before any work is performed on the street.
- Building Operations/Construction Activity Permits are designated as the "02" permit series, meaning all permits in this category begin with "02". Listed in the table are the most commonly requested Building Operations/Construction Activity Permit types, which may be used when completing an application. A separate permit is required for each construction-related activity, except where otherwise provided in the Highway Rules or by permit stipulations.
- An Occupancy of Sidewalk Permit is required when either more than 3 feet from the property line is obstructed by a fence or a minimum of 5 feet of clear path cannot be maintained for pedestrians, or as otherwise stipulated.
- An Occupancy of Roadway Permit is required for closing all or part of one or more lanes of roadway and/or during blasting operations.
- A permit is required to place any construction trailer or similar structure in the street.
- For building operations, a crane permit is required for all cranes and derricks operating in the street on building construction or related activity under the jurisdiction of DOB, with the exception of truck cranes with telescopic, hydraulic or folding booms, over 50 feet and not more than 135 feet with a maximum rated capacity of 3 tons, for which a construction activity permit has been issued. Other requirements may apply to the movement of cranes within city limits, such as daily or annual over-dimensional travel permit(s) as issued by NYC DOT.
- For street operations, a crane permit is required for all cranes and derricks operating in the street with a maximum rated capacity greater than 20 tons and which are not related to building operations. Other requirements may apply to the movement of cranes within city limits, such as daily or annual over-dimensional travel permit(s) as issued by NYC DOT.
- The applicant may be required to address the circumstances of a hold before a permit is released. An explanation and description of "Holds" may be found in Section 3.5 Other Provisions Pertaining to Permits of this chapter.
Building Operations/Construction Activity Permits
|Place Material on Street
|Place Crane Or Shovel On Street
|$50 +$100 inspection fee
|Place Equipment Other Than Crane Or Shovel
|Place Shanty Or Trailer On Street
|Franchise Installations (Overhead Structures)
|Temporary Pedestrian Walk
|Occupancy Of Roadway As Stipulated
|Place Container On The Street
|Occupancy of Sidewalk As Stipulated